I’m off today! Why?
It’s St Jean Baptiste Day in Quebec.
I get a lot of questions regarding where I live. Some times I call it Ottawa, sometimes I say Gatineau. If you’re a geography buff you know that Ottawa and Gatineau are in two different provinces.
I live in Gatineau, QC. I have Quebec licence plates.
And for the first time in my career I’m working in Gatineau, QC and that is why I get today off. You must WORK in Quebec to get today off, and up until now I have always worked in Ottawa.
I work for the Federal Gov’t which has developed the acronym “NCR” for National Capital Region which encompasses both Ottawa AND Gatineau.
The cool thing? It’s Ottawa-Gatineau is divided by a river. You literally need to cross a bridge to “get to the other side”.
Problem is? Not so many bridges which results in A LOT of traffic. Like the worst traffic EVER.
There are 5 bridges
1) McDonald Cartier – the one I use most often
2) The Alexandra Bridge – this bridge I call the “Kaching-kaching” bridge because it makes that noise when you drive across it
3) The Portage Bridge – one of the most scenic views of Ottawa
4) Chaudière Bridge – To many locals this bridge is called EB Eddy.
5) The Champlain Bridge – This bridge crosses out of the downtown core into Alymer. It also is the most scariest bridge to drive on, I think. It’s also 1.1km long!
So there’s your little geography lesson for the day.
Oh, and as of July 5th? I’ll be living in Ontario again. I can hardly wait (read: PAIN IN THE ASS) to change all my cards back to Ontario. While I have no regrets in moving to Quebec, I’ll be happy to get back to the Ontario side!
Happy St. Jean Baptiste!