Friday, April 29, 2011
In honor of the big royal wedding, let's find out what is your royal wedding guest name is!
Start with either Lord or Lady + Your first name is one of your grandparents' names.
Your surname is the name of your first pet, double-barreled with the name of the street (or one of the streets) you grew up on.
My guest name = Lady Rita Whiskers-Matheson
What is your guest name?
Thursday, April 28, 2011
My boss happened to walk by and asked "What are you guys up to?"
The reply was simple.
We were having an impromptu Pampered Chef party at work! Duh!
They had a deal on last week that you got free shipping if you spent over $100, so 3 of us pooled our wants/desires and put in an order.
This is my bar pan. I looooove it. I use it at least 2-3 times a week. It's perfect for cooking for 2, but for anything else it's a wee bit small.
Enter my new Rectangle Stone.
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
I wanted comfort food but was not really feeling in the domestic kind of mood. Costco to the rescue!
Shepherds Pie, served with a side of shredded maple brussel sprouts.
After the picture was taken I added a ton of hot sauce, and mixed everything up. It was delicious.
Shepherds pie + hot sauce = perfection.
Apparently we're breaking rain-fall records in Ottawa, so I suspect I will be craving a lot of this type of food.
What are your favorite comfort foods?
I may have to start feeling domestic in order save my wallet and my waistline.
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
The end of a long weekend is here, and you know what? I didn’t take a single picture all weekend. That’s just weird. I ALWAYS have my camera with me.
It was a great long weekend.
Point form summary:
- We sold our house!
- We attended a lovely wedding.
- I puked a lot the next day as a result of said wedding
- We had Easter dinner at my cousin’s house.
- I watched a Cupcake Wars marathon all day yesterday
- Managed to sneak in a bit of exercise
- We grilled for the first time this year.
Pork tenderloin, grilled asparagus and fingerling potatoes cooked in foil with garlic and vidalia onions.
My long weekend has been extended by a day. I got a call yesterday morning that there was some sort of electrical problems at my office, so we couldn’t come in today. So disappointed!
I celebrated by using appliances that have been hidden away in the cabinets since the house was listed.
With a salad in a glass!
And you can bet your ass I left the toaster and the blender on the counter.
….and I haven’t vacuumed since Friday. I’m rebelling.
Side note: Blogging using a USB to upload your pictures is SO. MUCH. EASIER. I’ve been plugging in my camera this entire time. When I was
hiding things obsessively cleaning a few weeks ago I found this USB that I got when I bought my DSLR. It’s so easy to just pop your memory card in there, plug it in, and upload your pictures right to Windows Live Writer.
Well, I guess I have no excuse not to go to the gym since I’m off all day. Body Pump at 12pm, here I come. Have a great day!
Thursday, April 21, 2011
I've been known (accused?) of trying to "healthify" just about everything. One of my favorite memories is of my brother taking a bite of a chocolate-chip cookie and a huge strand of zuchinni coming out.
His reponse: "AMY! What the f_ck? Why can you just leave things alone?"
I have an office potluck today, and as a few of us are trying to reduce our pant size I thought I would give this recipe a shot.
The end result is sooo delicious!
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
I was rushing to get ready to go to a meeting offsite, and I was trying to lock my computer.
I was trying to get my mouse to scroll to the "LOCK COMPUTER" icon, and was having absolutely no luck.
My colleague (aka - A Bruins diehard) just so happened to be observing this, and simply asked "Is there something wrong with your mouse?"
I flipped it over, and look what I saw:
He is a funny, funny man.
GO HABS GO!
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
When I’ve had a little too much to drink, I get a little ummm wild.
Over the weekend we’re sitting around the kitchen table and my friend Curt says to my cousin Scott: “Hey Scott, I think I have a picture of your brother’s wife’s boobs on my phone.”
Immediately I knew that they were mine.
On my birthday weekend, I might have thought it was a good idea to steal Curt’s phone and not only photograph my cleavage but send naughty text messages AND update his Facebook status.
That might seem a little odd right? Not really.
Anyone who knows me “in real life” or that has the luxury of having me on BBM has certainly received a picture similar to this:
Yep that would be my cleavage.
I tried to deny it, but see that mole? I was wearing a lower cut shirt on Saturday night, so it totally gave
me my cleavage away.
But frig, did we ever laugh!
While I rarely drink these days, I had a good laugh compiling some of my finer moments in alcohol to share with you:
Do you have any crazy moments in alcohol?
Edited to add: See that picture with my bra hanging out? That was taken at a bar on a website called startthenight.ca when Andrew and I first started dating. I sent the link to my family saying "Here's a pic of my new boyfriend and I". Classy Amy, realllllllly classy.
Monday, April 18, 2011
I spent the weekend at my cousin Scott's place AGAIN. I've come to the conclusion that it's just easier to vacate to accomodate all the showings.
I'm proud to say that I indulged on Saturday (read: drank a bottle of wine) but pretty much rocked my calorie goals on My Fitness Pal.
On Sunday, I was feeling pretty good but in need of a good sweat session to sweat out the booze. I rocked 50 min run on the revolving aparatus of death! I hate running on the treadmill, but I had the Washington/NY game to keep me entertained.
I decided a healthy meal was in order to end off the weekend on a good note. The star of the show was MAPLE SYRUP! That's not Bud Light Lime obviously. It's a bottle of syrup made by Scott!
I wouldn't dare using his high quality syrup for cooking... so I used his competitors to make maple glazed salmon.
Friday, April 15, 2011
- Every SINGLE food I entered was in the database. Including Tim Horton's (ass-tasting) coffee, Danone Creamy Yogurt and a Fibre-One bar.
- I love that all my "old school" WWers are on there with me. A lot of us "met" on the forums at weightwatchers.ca so it seems fitting that we've all migrated here.
- It scares me a little that everyone can see what I ate that day.
- I also like that I can stalk what others are eating. For instance, Angiealltheway had pumpkin oatmeal yesterday. :)
- I completely failed yesterday, as I ate chocolate covered pretzels for dinner.
Back on track today!
Thursday, April 14, 2011
We're big Costco fans at our house. I refer to it as the $300 store, because when we first started shopping there it was rare to escape with a bill less that than. I'm happy to say we've gotten MUCH better at keeping the bills on the low(ish) side and if I was a mathematician, I'd say the average bill would be about $150.
Costco staples include: Boneless/skinless chicken breasts, salmon, bread, diet pepsi, broccoli (maybe if I didn't buy it in BULK I wouldn't have the odour problems on the bus eh?), brussel sprouts, bananas, peppers, old cheddar, greek yogurt, and mushrooms.
The odd time we'll peruse the isles to see if there are any hidden gems. And this my friends, is definitely a hidden gem. Fabulous Flats flatbread!
I made a BBQ Chicken flatbread the other night and it was SOOOO freakin' good! BBQ sauce, chicken, mushrooms, green pepper, caramelized onion and a wee bit of grated old cheddar. Fabulous Flats also has a great recipe section on the website. Check it out! Served with caesar salad with avocado added. Adding avocado to caesar salad is one of the best ideas I've ever came up it. It makes it taste creamy and rich. Loved it!
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
2. Jersey no longer gets a bed. She gets a comforter that is folded up and then stored in the closet.
3. This becomes a normal conversation:
Amy - where is Jersey's dish?
Andrew: In a box in the coldroom
4. You seriously consider redoing an entire bathroom in a weekend in hopes it will sell the house faster
5. You are becoming broke because house viewings = shopping time!
6. Jersey spends A LOT of time outside. I see this look frequently.
7. Your gas budget is through the roof because you spend hours driving around to kill time/stalking during showings on rainy days.
8. 3/4 of each work day is consumed talking on the phone with your real estate agent(s)
9. You can barely breathe because your house is filled with Glade products
10. Rainy days = dirty dog = dirty floors = NIGHTMARE!!
11. Your real estate agent sends and email asking for a simple update and you reply with a 10 page novel which covers topics like eating cookies, your thoughts on the meaning of life, and stress management techniques
12. Pro: many trips to the gym13. Con: Stress eating which negates any extra calories burned at the gym
14. The oven is no longer used to cook. It's used for produce storage.
15. You can vaccum the entire house in 5 mins flat.
16. Vacuuming the house in 5 mins flat becomes considered cardio exercise because you are a left a sweaty mess afterwards.17. Your island now sports fresh flowers and your listing information at all times.
19. When you open the microwave and it has mangoes in it, you don't think it's weird.
20. You don't use any of your fancy appliances anymore. Why? They are hidden in the basement.
21. You have mastered the art of strategically placing towels/photos to cover nail holes.
22. You talk to your lawyer, broker and agent more than you talk to your family.
23. You start to consider your lawyer, broker, and agent your family.
24. You need to invest in better eye cream because the lack of sleep as a result of stress is making you look like an old lady.
25. You can write an entire blog post about real-estate woes.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Confession: I used to be a faster runner.
I have ran a 5k in 29 mins, a 10k in 56 and a half marathon in 2:08.
These times aren’t lightening fast for some, but for me they were pretty freakin’ awesome.
That being said, some of my nightmare’ish races include a 5k in 38 mins and a half marathon in 2:42.
It’s a beautiful sunny day here in Ottawa, so the second I got home I changed into my running clothes, grabbed Jersey and hit the streets.
I was having a great run until I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a parked car. My inner thighs were huge, my stomach flapping in the winter, boobs all over the place, and the “bat wings” (arms) were flailing side to side.
I was completely devastated. My pace slowed to a crawl, and my mind was filled with negativity.
To make matters worse, I saw a former (very attractive/in shape/runner) colleague who was driving along the road beside the path I was running on. Traffic was reduced to a crawl so he had a good 10 mins to watch me waddling…. wearing spandex to boot. I was so embarrassed.
Each step became a challenge, and eventually I just started walking. I started seriously doubting this whole running thing, and wondering why I even bother.
It’s really hard not to compare where I once was, to where I am now.
Then I got to thinking…..
Who the HELL friggin’ cares how freaking fast I am running?
Who the hell cares if I’ve gained a few pounds?
I’m such a competitive person that I can’t help but compare myself to all the runners in the blog world, which often (read: all the time) makes me feel inferior.
Yes, I’m not as fast as I used to be. Yes, I’m not as skinny as I used to be.
But I’m running.
I don’t run for time. I don’t run for distance. I walk when I’m tired. Truth be told, I don’t even know where my Garmin is!
But I’m running.
….and sweating. :)
Monday, April 11, 2011
Although I don't write about it too often on the blog, I'm pretty much a product-whore.
With the house being on the market, everyone else is looking in my drawers so you might as well too!
This is my make-up drawer. My "getting ready routine" is actually a 2 part process. I do my make-up sitting cross legged in bed, and finish it off in the bathroom.
In the drawer: AG Recoil, AG Stucco, Spectro pimple stuff, Avon Coconut/banana body mist, a lint roller, Pantene heat protector spray, Goody clear elastics, baby wipes, Biotherm day/night cream, Make Up is Forever primer in green, Avene eye cream, MAC Blush, Lancome juicy tube, and my Bare Minerals foundation, mineral veil and "warmth" and the brushes to go with it. This is my make up bag. I got it in a Lancome freebie a long time ago.
And here's what is inside:
What's in your make-up bag?
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Friday, April 8, 2011
While I thought they were super cute, they just didn't work on for me. I think I have an odd shape head or something because regardless of what type of headband I wear, they ALWAYS slip off. I thought I would give the Bondi Band another try last night at spin class. I figured there is no jumping, so maybe it would stay in place.
Good news: It stayed in place.
Bad news: I should have looked in the mirror before going into the class.
I took this picture when I got into the car afterwards.
I died a little bit, thinking that I was surrounded by spandex-clad hard bodies looking like a complete dork.
Then I laughed at my ridiculousness!
Hello short bus.